Here’s why you should tune-up your system every year
Caring for your furnace is much like caring for your car. Like your car, it runs frequently (more frequently depending upon the time of year). You wouldn’t drive 40,000 miles without getting an oil change, so why should your furnace be any different?
Much like your car, there are moving parts that should be cleaned and checked regularly. Some may wear and need to be replaced in order to keep your system running smoothly. We can also locate issues before they become big problems in the dead of winter (and the Farmer’s Almanac says we’re in for a cold one this year!).
If you’re still under warranty and/or extended warranty you also want to be sure you’re meeting the requirements to keep it active. This includes regular maintenance (see your warranty for exact requirements).
Maintaining a regular maintenance schedule will also help to lengthen the life of your system. Again, failing to change the oil in your car will most certainly shorten its useful life. Furthermore, a system that is well cared for will also run more efficiently which translates into lower energy costs for you.
So what exactly does a tune-up entail? Here’s our Bender’s Oil Service Tune-Up Checklist:
- Brush and vacuum internal passage ways, vacuum out combustion chamber
- Visually inspect for cracks or leaks
- Remove & clean smoke pipe
- Check chimney for blockage at smoke pipe
- Clean nozzle assembly & install new nozzle
- Check endcone on burner
- Clean burner fan if necessary
- Clean or replace pump strainer
- Replace oil filter, inspect oil tank & oil line
- Oil motors if they have oil holes
- Check & adjust fire, use smoke tester
- Check CO2 & draft
- Inspect piping & gaskets for leaks
- Check burner coupling
- Wipe off heating unit
- Fill out card
Be sure to schedule your tune-up before the cold weather hits!
Call our office today: (860) 423-6859