In the height of winter, we all hope that our heating system can make it through the home stretch without any issues. But sometimes, things just happen (and not always at the most convenient time). It’s important to know the signs that things aren’t quite right so that you can address them quickly – and before something small turns into something much bigger.
Here’s our list of 10 signs your heating system needs attention:
1. Age of your system: The typical lifespan for heating systems that have been properly installed and maintained is approximately 12 to 15 years.
2. Monitor heating costs: If your thermostat settings aren’t dramatically different but you’re filling the tank more often, it could be that your system is becoming less efficient due to age. Increased heating costs and an older heater could be a sign that it’s time to think about a replacement.
3. Check your flame: You should see a bright blue flame in your furnace thermostat. A flickering or yellow flame is a warning sign that the gas is not burning completely and that your furnace is producing carbon monoxide. This can lead to serious health hazards and you should call for service immediately.
4. Strange noises: If your system is suddenly making sounds that you didn’t hear previously, it may be in need of repair or replacement. Squealing, popping, rattling, banging or a loud blower are telltale signs of a problem.
5. Strange odors: Any new and unfamiliar odors like burning rubber, oil, or smoke aren’t normal. These can indicate a serious safety hazard and should be investigated right away.
6. Trouble getting started: Older systems can have difficulty getting started or staying on. Sometimes this is due to old wiring that needs replacement.
7. Temperature differences: If heating isn’t consistent from room to room, this is a sure sign that your system is in need of maintenance.
8. Dirty air filters: Air filters that get dirty quickly could be a sign that it’s time for repair and maintenance.
9. No heat: Obviously if your system isn’t producing heat, then you have a problem.
10. Health changes: If there have been significant changes in your family’s health, it can indicate a problem with carbon monoxide in your furnace. Serious health symptoms to watch out for include frequent headaches, a burning in the nose or eyes, nausea, disorientation and flu like symptoms. If you experience this, immediately shut down the furnace, open the doors and windows in your house and call for service.
Call our office today to schedule repairs or tune-ups, or to arrange for automatic delivery: (860) 423-6859